You don’t need a season to wear cotton fabrics – we all love to wear cotton clothes at anytime of the year. With the right care, cotton is a durable fabric that can last for years. But what can you do to make your cotton fabrics last long enough, and how can you remove stains from cotton? It’s really very easy to take care of cotton fabrics – read on to find tips and advice on how!
Taking care of cotton fabrics
Here are some simple and basic tips you can keep in mind to remove stains from clothes and take care of your cotton garments while still maintaining the newness of the fabric.
- When washing cotton shirts or tunics, first treat problem areas like the neck and underarms. These areas sweat the most and the residue from perspiration and natural oils can leave permanent stains or discolouration. You might want to pre-treat these areas before putting the garments in the washing machine.
- It’s best to wash cotton fabrics in warm water, using Surf excel Matic and a normal wash cycle, especially when washing whites. With Surf Excel Matic, you don’t have to worry about stains at all.
- If you’re worried about a particular stain, then look at the Stain Gang app. In this interactive app, you can find specific information about how to treat and remove different stains from different materials. Do not wash coloured fabrics and white fabrics together, as coloured items might bleed onto your whites. It’s good to sort your laundry into ‘coloured’ and ‘white’ piles before running a load of laundry – you don’t want your white shirts to end up pink because a red shirt or sock has snuck into the wash at the same time!
- In case of a cotton fabric with embellishments like beads or sequins, turn it inside out when putting it in the wash so that the beads don’t loosen up. For an item that is very delicate, perhaps try washing it on the gentlest cycle.
- Before ironing the fabric, look for any stains that you might have missed – applying heat will permanently set the stains on your clothes.
Follow these few basic steps, and your clothes will look forever new! Do you have any other strategies for removing stains or taking care of cotton fabrics? Leave us a comment and let us know!