Chances are that the first biscuits you will have made at home or school were gingerbread men – and were eaten limb by limb until all that remained was a smiling gingerbread face! This is a great recipe, as they take no time at all to prepare and cook, and are low in sugar.
What you need for gingerbread:
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g softened butter
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Currants or icing tubes to decorate
- Grease a large baking tray and pre heat the oven to 190c /gas mark 5
- Pop the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter
- Add the sugar and syrup and stir in the egg until it makes a firm dough
- Roll out your dough to ½ cm and cut out your gingerbread men with a cutter – or freehand if you like!
- Place your men on the tray, leaving space between them to spread while cooking
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before decorating with currants or piped icing
If this recipe has given your little one an appetite for cooking and baking, you should try these other tasty recipes for kids, like these simple chocolate cakes!